Trewern exists to provide a residential experience for young people and to promote experiential learning through a variety of educational experiences, in an environment that contrasts with their home area.
- To promote a healthy lifestyle
- To project positive role models
- To broaden horizons
- To provide a safe haven for all children, especially those at risk or in crisis
- To provide an opportunity for learning, in a challenging environment
- To provide a stimulating environment that encourages self-expression and personal development
- To help students develop life skills and manage risk through responsible behaviour
- To embrace opportunities to work harmoniously with others
Trewern was opened in 1967 as an outdoor pursuits centre for the schools of Barking and is now an educational facility for the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham.
The intervening years have seen many developments which have increased the versatility of the service that we offer. Currently the Centre is open throughout the year and runs courses during the week and at weekends for both school and adult groups.
Built in 1904 the house was originally classified as a medium sized family residence.