The Mountain Leader award trains and assesses candidates in the skills required to lead hillwalking groups in summer conditions, on mountainous routes which do not require the planned use of a rope. The course is intended for those intending to lead groups in remote areas of the UK and combines technical skills, experience and personal leadership qualities for effective group management. Minimum requirements for ML are:
- A genuine interest in leading groups in the hills
- At least 12 months experience of hill walking
- Minimum age of 18 when registering
- Individual or club member of a Mountaineering Council
- Registration with ‘Mountain-Training’
For further details refer to the Mountain Training website www.mountain-training.org
What you should know
Name: (ML) Mountain Leader
Purpose: Training for those who wish to lead groups in mountainous terrain in the UK.
Prerequisites: Check with relevant home nations national governing body.
Venues: Mountainous areas in both the Brecon Beacons and Snowdonia National Parks.